Tuesday, February 20

I Left My Heart in Palawan

It was love at first sight. Even before touching down on Busuanga's little airport, I knew Palawan was going to be my favorite place to be. The sight of the mountain range that eerily resembles Bohol's famous Chocolate Hills, little islands with white sand, bright blue and green waters all from the window of the 19-seater plane took my breath away. As dramatic as it may sound, Palawan deserves all the praise for being hailed the planet's "last frontier". Thus, began my weekend love affair with Palawan.

We landed at around 4pm in a tiny airport, and even overshot the landing strip and ended on the dirt road. By the strip was a small plane that seemed to have veered off from the tarmac and was left there for good. We were greeted by Club Paradise's Jesse who took our bags and loaded them on a jeep that would take us to the dock. We drove through a valley with no sign of inhabitants, except a number of cows grazing freely. The dock was on the Panggawaran River with a seemingly endless row of mangroves sitting on quiet water. It was close to sundown when we reached our final destination.

Where else in the Philippines will you come across monitor lizards or deer on the way to your hotel room? Or wake up to the sound of birds that sound nothing like those in the city? Or take an hour trip on a boat to an untouched island where giraffes and zebras run freely? Or snorkel a couple of meters away from shore to meet a couple of sting ray? My stay at Palawan made me realize that despite my travels to different parts of this country, I've been so ignorant.I have so much more to see.
It was difficult to leave. I can't wait 'til I get back.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home